Washington State Martial Artist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington State Martial Artist Forum

Your resource for upcoming events and competitions.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TKD's popularity...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fluffy

Fluffy

Male Number of posts : 23
Martial arts style : Hwa-Rang Taekwondo, Largo Mano Escrima
Martial arts experience and current school : 23 years in TKD, Owner/Chief Instructor Snohomish Taekwondo
Registration date : 2007-09-18

TKD's popularity... Empty
PostSubject: TKD's popularity...   TKD's popularity... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 12:09 am

Is Taekwondo's Popularity challenged by the resurgence of JJ and MMA?

Can it still thrive as the fastest growing and most widely known in the world?

And shall apart from popularity, will it ever gain maintain respect and acceptance by most?
Back to top Go down
http://www.SnoTKD.com
Fluffy

Fluffy

Male Number of posts : 23
Martial arts style : Hwa-Rang Taekwondo, Largo Mano Escrima
Martial arts experience and current school : 23 years in TKD, Owner/Chief Instructor Snohomish Taekwondo
Registration date : 2007-09-18

PostSubject: Re: TKD's popularity...   TKD's popularity... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 12:26 am

My answer: (almost forgot)

BJJ is total sport, not a real SD, not a real art (but some instructors have made it into an art, and that I can respect) but the purpose of BJJ is to win in a ring. Now, some facets of TKD is total sport as well. But that begs the question is TKD a sport or MA, I'd say both. Original JJ is an art, BJJ made it a sport. So, let's say JJ is both as well. Is one better than the other...can't tell you that I'm only involved with TKD - and traditional TKD at that, not the Olympic style.

I think BJJ and the MMA craze is a bit of a fad, it will die down a bit. But won't go away any time soon. Do I think it will take away from TKD, nope. Not everyone can do it. TKD is a very accepting art, I allow just about anyone to join my school, and I tend to let students learn at their own pace. The local BJJ club is much more ridged on who is in. Not many females, kids or those who are a bit on the heavy side....for good reason, but that's the truth. Because of it's limitations on who can really participate, those who can not will turn to other MA's like TKD, so the entire MMA scene is good for just about everyone. And TKD in the US will benefit......I already have.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.SnoTKD.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 30
Martial arts style : Karate, Kick Boxing, Tae Kwon Do
Martial arts experience and current school : 17+ years, currently at Evolution Martial Arts
Registration date : 2007-09-10

PostSubject: Re: TKD's popularity...   TKD's popularity... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 2:55 am

TKD will never completely die out... it can move in too many directions- self defense, art, sport, life skills, ect.

Aspects of TKD also work very well in MMA training imo.... very powerful kicks, but no guard, and the traditional footwork is to bouncy to be effective against even a half-assed grappler. Keep your hands up, keep at least one foot planted, and learn some ground defense and TKD can hold its own fairly well.
Back to top Go down
http://evolutionmartialartsllc.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 30
Martial arts style : Karate, Kick Boxing, Tae Kwon Do
Martial arts experience and current school : 17+ years, currently at Evolution Martial Arts
Registration date : 2007-09-10

PostSubject: Re: TKD's popularity...   TKD's popularity... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 2:55 am

TKD will never completely die out... it can move in too many directions- self defense, art, sport, life skills, ect.

Aspects of TKD also work very well in MMA training imo.... very powerful kicks, but no guard, and the traditional footwork is to bouncy to be effective against even a half-assed grappler. Keep your hands up, keep at least one foot planted, and learn some ground defense and TKD can hold its own fairly well.
Back to top Go down
http://evolutionmartialartsllc.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TKD's popularity...   TKD's popularity... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TKD's popularity...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Washington State Martial Artist Forum :: Martial Arts Styles Forum :: Tae Kwon Do and the Korean Arts Forum-
Jump to: