Washington State Martial Artist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington State Martial Artist Forum

Your resource for upcoming events and competitions.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Parents in the Dojang (Dojo)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fluffy

Fluffy

Male Number of posts : 23
Martial arts style : Hwa-Rang Taekwondo, Largo Mano Escrima
Martial arts experience and current school : 23 years in TKD, Owner/Chief Instructor Snohomish Taekwondo
Registration date : 2007-09-18

Parents in the Dojang (Dojo) Empty
PostSubject: Parents in the Dojang (Dojo)   Parents in the Dojang (Dojo) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 12:59 am

I would be interested in how other Instructors handle overzealous parents in the Dojang during training. You know the parent who wants their student to get the technique right in one try. Or yells out criticism during class.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.SnoTKD.com
Ken Dietiker

Ken Dietiker

Male Number of posts : 13
Martial arts style : HEMA, WMA
Martial arts experience and current school : Kempo, Praying Mantis, Tai chi. Currently in Historical European MA (ARMA)
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Parents in the Dojang (Dojo) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parents in the Dojang (Dojo)   Parents in the Dojang (Dojo) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:26 am

Unfortunately, you're going to have to put a stop to it. It's a distraction and could get one of the students hurt. They are there to learn from YOU, so they need to be focused on what they are doing and their instruction and practice. Calls from the visitor's section can distract their focus and someone could eventually get hurt or the student may lose some respect for you, and that's not good for you, the school, and the rest of the students. You really need to control your environment in this situation.

First thing to do is put up a polite sign (or two) next to the visitor's seating area. You know, "Quiet Please", the Dojang's rules or policies of Etiquette and Respect, and whatever else you want to say, etc. Make it very visible. At the bottom of that same sign, add that this request is in compliance with your insurance policy and liability regulations.

Then, and only after you have the signs up, ask the student to talk to their family members concerning this rule. If that doesn't work, you will have to address the family member directly, but do it off to the side in private (you don't want to embarrass them). Explain that it's dangerous and could get their kid hurt, how it's okay during sparring matches, but not in formal instruction. Don't bother with the formality stuff, if they don't have that the first day they step in the door, explaining etiquette and Dojang respect isn't going to do anything but piss them off. Don't send a letter either, that's insulting, you have to do this in person, but be very diplomatic and make it sound like it would be their fault if an accident were to occur because they couldn't shut up. Unfortunately this also has the potential, if it gets that far, of losing that student because the parent gets offended and pulls their kid out.

But tell me, what would you rather have? Lost a student or lose respect or worse, have a serious injury? Anyway, that's how I would handle it. Of course I don't know everything about your specific situation, but I think that should be a basic policy in any Dojo/Dojang/Gym/Salle.

My .02
Back to top Go down
http://groups.google.com/group/armatac

Parents in the Dojang (Dojo)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Washington State Martial Artist Forum :: General discussion-
Jump to: