Washington State Martial Artist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington State Martial Artist Forum

Your resource for upcoming events and competitions.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TKD & SD

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fluffy

Fluffy

Male Number of posts : 23
Martial arts style : Hwa-Rang Taekwondo, Largo Mano Escrima
Martial arts experience and current school : 23 years in TKD, Owner/Chief Instructor Snohomish Taekwondo
Registration date : 2007-09-18

TKD & SD Empty
PostSubject: TKD & SD   TKD & SD Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 1:25 am

I have been told by a couple of people in TKD there are certain guidelines in self defense, since we have a mix batch of tkd'ers on this forum I would like to know your definition of TKD self defense. Mine would be let it all out and try to hurt the person so severly they would end up in the hospital wishing they where dead, as long as I can defend myself in court over it. You have to know when to stop. I'm interested in the sport aspect people views on self defense since they really train on timing and movement to win there matches what is your training like for self defense and your philosophies appoach to it. I'm just curious and I'm looking for genuine answers not really trying to start up a controversy over sport versus tradition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SnoTKD.com
Valorie

Female Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-10-28

TKD & SD Empty
PostSubject: Re: TKD & SD   TKD & SD Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 8:36 am

I just found your forum this morning and am very excited you raised this topic--it's a really important one to me. Here's my dilemma: I am a blond female who for some reason GOD only knows I get jumped on the street about every other year. I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty used to it. I love TKD, and studied it for 2 years, but I can't say that I've ever been able to use the moves on the street. The physical fitness aspect of it has saved me repeatedly, though. I just have to convince my attacker that I'm in superior shape and they pretty much get scared and run. (The ITF school I went to was in London; they emphasized heavy cardio fitness drills for 60 minutes, then 30 minutes of forms and kicks, 3 times a week.) My question is: have you or anyone you know ever been able to use TKD in a real-life SD situation? If so, can you tell me about it?
Back to top Go down
Valorie

Female Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-10-28

TKD & SD Empty
PostSubject: Re: TKD & SD   TKD & SD Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:59 am

PS--Here's something interesting regarding TKD & self defense: a woman was attacked in her home 2 nights ago, just a few doors down from me. I heard these details from another neighbor. A guy knocked on her door posing as a solicitor. When she opened the door, two other guys jumped out of the bushes and all three forced their way in. One guy "pistol-whipped" her while the others tried to tie her hands and tape her face. This left her legs free, and she used them to kick nonstop. She eventually wore out her attackers and they ran. She is alive, but still in the hospital. I am told that she had studied martial arts, but I don't know what style. Sounds like kicks served her well, plus her physical fitness--two things worth noting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TKD & SD Empty
PostSubject: Re: TKD & SD   TKD & SD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TKD & SD
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Washington State Martial Artist Forum :: Martial Arts Styles Forum :: Tae Kwon Do and the Korean Arts Forum-
Jump to: