Washington State Martial Artist Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington State Martial Artist Forum

Your resource for upcoming events and competitions.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Experienced complacent behavior...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TacticalSolutions

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Experienced complacent behavior... Empty
PostSubject: Experienced complacent behavior...   Experienced complacent behavior... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 4:57 pm

OK....so, lets look at being 40...... as in not 20 anymore.

As previously stated in my introduction, I am an investigator, and a law enforcement firearms instructor. I recently had occasion to be working on a criminal investigation, and found myself in an area predominently not white. I pride myself on being very diplomatic, and easy to get along with, so when two young men (early 20's) started asking me via ethnic slur's why I was in their hood....

I attempted to start a dialogue with these young men, but they closed in on me within 7 ft of my position, with my back to my car. In about the nano moment it took to realize I was in a bad position, they attacked me. to paint a picture, I am 6'3", 320lbs, a large framed Scott, the two subjects were 20'ish years old, 5'9(#1) and 6'(#2). The smaller of the two was stocky, the 6' was quite thin. After all was said and done, I sustained 3 defensive knife wounds to my left arm, one across my right torso, a black eye and a couple cracked ribs.

I was thankfull that they were not experienced fighters, or well, at least not formerly trained. As it turns out, one of them had warrants and is now on his 3rd violent crime, and was just recently released from medical care, pending some orthopedic surgeries to correct some issues. the other, likely will be deported, and was released from medical care that same night.

I am finding that it is taking significantly longer to heal up than I did when I was 20... I was thankfull there were two witness' that stated I was the victim (despite the actual outcome), and once the responding officers realized I was armed, it seemed obvious that I did not intend on excessive use of force.

I have been teaching for 16 years, and frankly, this was a very humbling experience. I have learned to talk my way out of most things, and have not been in a multiple opponent/CGB in almost 5 years. I am thankfull that I did not shoot anyone, but it was not because I "chose" not too, but because I simply did not have the room or opportunity to safely draw my firearm and shoot even from a weapon retention position. These youn ger men were in far better shape than me, and were both under the influence. Hindsight reminds me I need to better control my environment and be less complacent.

I recently started tinkering with Krav Maga as a friend of mine from the middle east was kind enough to show me some significantly more simple gross motor movements that allow me to remove a few more complicated movements from my traditional Muay Thai training. I found it to be amazingly cooperative with my reflexes and dealing with the knife portion of my problem.

Anyway...just some ramblings from an old man...thought I would share. I got complacent and almost got my ass stabbed.
If I had advice to offer anyone, it would be to maintain 360deg training, and make as many of your movements gross motor skill as possible.

I welcome any questions, or critisism if you find it usefull in my/our learning curve.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 30
Martial arts style : Karate, Kick Boxing, Tae Kwon Do
Martial arts experience and current school : 17+ years, currently at Evolution Martial Arts
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Experienced complacent behavior... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Experienced complacent behavior...   Experienced complacent behavior... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Thats a good message. Complacent behavior is how most martial artist seem to get hurt. I can add your story to the list of many other martial artist (myself included) who ended up in a bad situation that easily could have been avoided.
Back to top Go down
http://evolutionmartialartsllc.com

Experienced complacent behavior...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Washington State Martial Artist Forum :: General discussion-
Jump to: